Influenza, the most common respiratory virus, occurs in the fall and winter months spanning from mid-October to March in the United States. An estimated 40 million flu illnesses occurred during the 2018-2019 flu season in the U.S. which lasted nearly 21 weeks, the longest flu season in a decade. December and February are the peak months in flu season, however, several states have already reported widespread infection including California, Louisiana, and Maryland.
Respiratory viruses, like the flu, cause irritating symptoms for patients including fever, cough or sore throat, running nose and sneezing, and head or muscle aches. Symptoms of the flu and other respiratory viruses often overlap so diagnosis can sometimes be difficult. Patients can protect themselves from the flu by getting vaccinated early, however, if they do become infected, it is important to get diagnosed and treated quickly to avoid serious complications.
PathGroup offers clinical and molecular laboratory testing options to help diagnose respiratory viruses in your patients. To learn more about our testing options, visit http://www.pathgroup.com/clinical/testing-menu/ or contact your local PathGroup representative.
PathGroup’s clinical pathology laboratory is committed to personalized, around-the-clock service, with same-day testing available. Our staff functions as a partner to physician practices, providing expert laboratory interpretation and consultation for the best in patient care. With a local network of professional, regulatory, and technological expertise, PathGroup provides the following clinical laboratory services to our clients:
- General Chemistry
- Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
- General Immunology
- Medical Drug Screens
- Infectious Disease Testing
- Prenatal Services
- Hormone Testing
- Allergy Testing
The PathGroup Advantage
Our clinical pathology department provides fast, accurate information to physicians making vital decisions about diagnosis and treatment. Our physician-centric, patient focused approach includes:
- Board-certified pathologists in subspecialty areas of clinical pathology
- Fastest turnaround times in the industry: 24 hours for routine tests
- Most results available to attending physicians within 24-48 hours of specimen delivery
- 97% of tests performed in-house, with state-of-the-art equipment
- Easy online ordering and results reporting
- Contracted with more than 100 Managed Care Providers
- Patient-friendly billing policies
- Full Suite of Business Solutions, including client assisted billing and Lab Management
- Innovative technology solutions for patients and physicians, including iPhone, iPad and web-based applications
- The latest in proprietary and industry-standard technology; over 425 live interfaces with more than 50 EHR/EMR providers
- Direct access to pathologists for post-analytical support when ordering follow-up tests
- Client staff members have direct access to expert pre-analytical support when ordering and requesting tests
- Test menu constantly expanding to accommodate client requests and needs
- Personalized, custom panels and reflex rules available; custom notification rules upon request.
- Courier services for specimen pick-up; supplies delivered to our clients on a daily basis
- Quick-response, expert consultation from experienced pathologists
- Medical director services available to hospitals and other laboratories
- Full range of additional anatomic and molecular laboratory services for comprehensive service from a single source
In keeping with our commitment to excellence in pathology, we maintain certifications with the State, College of American Pathologists (CAP) and the Joint Commission as well as the Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA). Our physician group provides volunteer surveyors for the Laboratory Accreditation Program of the CAP.