Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are viruses or bacteria spread through sexual contact with an infected individual. Some of the most common STIs are chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomonas vaginalis, human papillomavirus (HPV) and mycoplasma genitalium (M. gen). An estimated 26 million new STIs occur every year in the United States.
Since many STIs don’t always show signs or symptoms, it is important that patients are tested if they are sexually active and at risk of potential exposure to STIs. It is especially important to test women for STIs as they may cause severe health and reproductive problems if left untreated. According to the CDC, all sexually active women younger than 25 years should be tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea every year. The CDC also recommends that women who are pregnant should be tested for syphilis, HIV, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C in the early stages of pregnancy.
PathGroup offers laboratory tests that allow healthcare providers to learn more about their patients’ sexual health. To learn more about PathGroup laboratory testing options for STIs, contact your local PathGroup representative or visit the online Directory of Services at http://www.pathgroup.com/clinical/testing-menu/.
PathGroup’s clinical pathology laboratory is committed to personalized, around-the-clock service, with same-day testing available. Our staff functions as a partner to physician practices, providing expert laboratory interpretation and consultation for the best in patient care. With a local network of professional, regulatory, and technological expertise, PathGroup provides the following clinical laboratory services to our clients:
- General Chemistry
- Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
- General Immunology
- Medical Drug Screens
- Infectious Disease Testing
- Prenatal Services
- Hormone Testing
- Allergy Testing
The PathGroup Advantage
Our clinical pathology department provides fast, accurate information to physicians making vital decisions about diagnosis and treatment. Our physician-centric, patient focused approach includes:
- Board-certified pathologists in subspecialty areas of clinical pathology
- Fastest turnaround times in the industry: 24 hours for routine tests
- Most results available to attending physicians within 24-48 hours of specimen delivery
- 97% of tests performed in-house, with state-of-the-art equipment
- Easy online ordering and results reporting
- Contracted with more than 100 Managed Care Providers
- Patient-friendly billing policies
- Full Suite of Business Solutions, including client assisted billing and Lab Management
- Innovative technology solutions for patients and physicians, including iPhone, iPad and web-based applications
- The latest in proprietary and industry-standard technology; over 425 live interfaces with more than 50 EHR/EMR providers
- Direct access to pathologists for post-analytical support when ordering follow-up tests
- Client staff members have direct access to expert pre-analytical support when ordering and requesting tests
- Test menu constantly expanding to accommodate client requests and needs
- Personalized, custom panels and reflex rules available; custom notification rules upon request.
- Courier services for specimen pick-up; supplies delivered to our clients on a daily basis
- Quick-response, expert consultation from experienced pathologists
- Medical director services available to hospitals and other laboratories
- Full range of additional anatomic and molecular laboratory services for comprehensive service from a single source
In keeping with our commitment to excellence in pathology and laboratory medicine, we maintain certifications in multiple states, the College of American Pathologists (CAP) as well as the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA). Our physician group provides volunteer surveyors for the Laboratory Accreditation Program of the College of American Pathologists, in the of spirit of a peer based, educational approach to inspections.